Gus Malzahn has options.
Some of them he doesn’t need or want, though Auburn’s fifth-year manager positively could see his star rise, tumble or usually plain fire out in a subsequent 4 Saturdays.
Such are a vagaries of a SEC, big-time college football and usually being Gus.
With No. 1 Georgia appearing Saturday in one of 3 top-10 matchups this week, all a above formula are still in play. For one of a many innovative descent coaches of this era — for college football this deteriorate — that is significant.
Some sum …
Even during 7-2 going into Week 11, Malzahn is, was and competence always be on a prohibited seat. You wouldn’t understand, it’s an Auburn thing … so many so that if he doesn’t kick Georgia or Alabama in a entrance weeks, Malzahn could be fired. The fact that a jaunty executive who hired him, Jay Jacobs, is on his approach out doesn’t assistance matters. Gus is 16-16 given a 2013 run to a BCS championship game. In that span, he is 1-5 opposite Georgia and Alabama.
Short of removing fired, Gus could kick a posse out of city and leave on his own. Arkansas would be a protected alighting mark if Bret Bielema is let go. After 5 seasons of Bielema Ball, Arkansas would acquire a aged descent coordinator with a Dickson Street parade.
But Gus could also get a agreement extension. All a Tigers have to do is kick Georgia and Alabama — a tip dual teams in a republic — to bind a SEC West and start that conversation. In that case, Gus would be in a position to win a SEC in a rematch with Georgia in a discussion pretension game. At that point, how do we keep an 11-2 Auburn with wins over (most likely) 3 top-five opponents in 4 weeks out of a College Football Playoff? Answer: You don’t.
From stagnation line to playoff. That is Malzahn’s operation of options right now. In that sense, he and his group control a fortunes of Georgia, Alabama, a whole SEC and a playoff.
You can’t put a cost tab on that. Actually, we can, though Greg Sankey doesn’t wish to consider about how many income a SEC would gain/lose formed on how many Auburn rises or falls.
Boom or bust. That arrange of describes all a contenders’ predicament streamer into Week 11. Starting during Jordan-Hare, some coaches have some-more options than others.
2. Catholics vs. Comebacks: we consternation if Notre Dame understands what it’s walking into Saturday night during Miami. It hasn’t been to South Florida given 1989. Expect it to be hot, humid, maybe a showering or two, certainly a lot of reproach hurled in packaged Hard Rock Stadium. Miami (ninth misfortune in time of possession!) should try to reason onto a round and spin adult a sound opposite a exposed Notre Dame D.
There have to be some holes for a Canes to see on film after a Irish gave adult scarcely 600 yards final week opposite Wake Forest. Running behind Josh Adams will have to dominate. He checked out after a initial entertain final week after 5 carries due to tired and “a high educational load.” Try that Miami front 7 on for size, #33Trucking. My guess: Miami 33, Notre Dame 28.
3. The oldest adversary in a low South: we keep saying, earlier or later, Jake Fromm has a clunker in him. we keep being wrong. If Georgia is going to keep a playoff hopes alive, Fromm is going to have to modify some third-and-7s on this Auburn D. Fromm has thrown a meagre 22 times on third-and-7 or longer this season. Half of his 4 interceptions have come in those situations. With dual top-25 run defenses on a setting (Auburn, substantially Alabama in SEC pretension game), Fromm is going to have to grow large shoulders. The diversion eventually is going to be on his throwing arm.
4. Alabama abyss check: Bama can means to remove during Mississippi State. We know this because, in 2011 and ’12, a Tide mislaid in Nov and won inhabitant championships. They usually have to finish in a tip four, not be No. 1. As prolonged as Bama reaches Atlanta with no some-more than one loss, it has a possibility to be in a playoff. That creates a difference of CBS Sports’ Gary Danielson reduction concerning. Danielson calls a injuries to Alabama’s Shaun Dion Hamilton and Minkah Fitzpatrick a . Fitzpatrick is approaching to play opposite Mississippi State, though Hamilton is out for a season. This is a exam of a loyal abyss of Alabama’s roster.
5. Heisman heist: Baker Mayfield is such a restricted favorite now it competence not matter if a Sooners remove between now and a Heisman Trophy rite (Dec. 9). It really matters in a playoff follow with TCU entrance to town. The Sooners face a Big 12’s best invulnerability as good as a nation’s best special teams. This is a playoff rejecting bout. The Heisman? It has been decided.
6. Thirteen and uh-oh: No pressure, Wisconsin though it’s all on we — a Big Ten’s playoff hopes, that is. All we need to do is win out opposite Iowa (Saturday), Michigan, Minnesota and your competition a Big Ten pretension game. . It’s 13-0 or bust for Wisconsin and a Big Ten.
7. Scarlet and pray: Ohio State is adored by 15.5 points Saturday opposite Michigan State. Our friends in a dried have apparently mislaid a Bucks have mislaid each poignant diversion they’ve played given a iPhone 6 was released. They’ve also mislaid that a quarterback whose name we still can’t utterly pronounce — Brian Lewerke — has thrown for 400 yards in back-to-back games for a Spartans. That’s something J.T. Barrett has never finished in his career.
8. Elsewhere in South Florida: Bravo for dual resuscitated careers: No. 25 (in my Power Rankings) FAU heads to Louisiana Tech with a nation’s seventh-longest winning strain (tied, five). In a same season, Lane Kiffin’s hermit — defensive coordinator Chris — is both a claimant for a Broyles Award (nation’s best assistant) and a intensity NCAA chastisement forcing him out of his pursuit after featuring prominently in a Ole Miss allegations. Meanwhile, FIU (6-2) hosts Old Dominion with dual walk-ons in Butch Davis’ starting secondary. FAU-FIU accommodate subsequent week to confirm a Conference USA East.
9. Quick kicks: Wonder if a CFP Selection Committee takes this arrange of thing into account: In Miami, Notre Dame’s Brandon Wimbush will face his third top-seven pass potency invulnerability this season. Mayfield will face his initial top-50 such invulnerability opposite TCU. … Forget about Les Miles during Oregon State for now. The propagandize has not contacted him notwithstanding reports this week Les was meddlesome in a opening. (Update: Les is engaging in every opening.). … Army (7-2) is perplexing to go undefeated during home for a initial time given 1996. The Black Knights are going to back-to-back bowls for a initial time given 1984-85.… Tommy Tuberville pronounced this week “there is no one some-more qualified” to be a subsequent Auburn AD than him. we don’t disagree.
10. Quote of a week: “They don’t like to hear it, though a bottom 6 in a discussion would vanquish a bottom 6 in a SEC.” — Washington State‘s Mike Leach on a Pac-12