Switching from a Mac to a PC doesn’t have to be difficult. Crossing over to a opposite handling complement can be a daunting task, though there are many ways to palliate a transition. Whether we cite to use a PC after experiencing a Mac or a Mac no longer fits your business’s needs, a small bit of calm and investment of your time can go a prolonged way.
To assistance we make a move, here are 10 tips on switching from a Mac to a PC.
1. Pick a PC
The good thing about switching from a Mac to a PC is that we have a many wider operation of device options and cost points. You can select from desktop computers, laptops, tablets and two-in-one notebooks that can be converted into tablets. You can also select between business laptops and consumer laptops as good as tradition build your device to fit a business’s singular needs.
Additionally, since Macs are pricier, PCs offer some-more budget-friendly options from opposite manufacturers. For instance, we can squeeze a workhorse laptop with enterprise-level specs, discerning opening and extended battery life for $700 and up, or buy a $300 simple laptop that gets a pursuit done. For a relapse of cost points, check out a laptop shopping guide.
2. Create a Microsoft account
When we buy a new PC, you’ll advantage from formulating a Microsoft Account, many like an Apple ID on a Mac. You will use your Microsoft Account to record in to your PC, and it also serves as a singular sign-on for Microsoft’s other services – Office, Outlook.com, OneDrive, Skype, Xbox Live, Bing, MSN and a Windows Store. If we already have an comment on any of these platforms, that comment can also be used for your new PC.
Using a Microsoft Account can also assistance we turn some-more prolific by syncing all your Windows inclination and services. A Microsoft Account is also required to activate and use Cortana, Microsoft’s synthetic intelligence-based personal assistant, identical to Apple’s Siri.
3. Get to know a PC interface
The many apparent disproportion between Macs and PCs is their interfaces. Below are some tips on navigating and regulating opposite facilities with a PC:
- Navigation: You’ll find all your folders, apps and settings by clicking on a Start menu located on a bottom left dilemma of a screen.
- Search: Windows 10 creates it easy to find files, folders, apps and settings by simply typing in what you’re looking for in a Search bar to right of a Start button. It functions usually like a Spotlight application on a Mac by anticipating a best compare for your keywords.
- Window management: The minimize, resize and tighten window buttons are located on a tip right dilemma of any window, since you’ll find them on a tip left on a Mac. Note that shutting a window on a PC also closes a app, distinct on a Mac, that requires we to indeed “quit” an app to tighten it down.
4. Adjust to a new keyboard
Another disproportion between a PC and a Mac is a keyboard. Keyboard shortcuts speed adult daily tasks, though we competence need to delayed down for a day or dual to get used to new shortcuts on a PC.
Most Mac keyboard shortcuts use a Command key. On a PC, you’ll be regulating a Control key. Here is a discerning anxiety of a many ordinarily used PC keyboard shortcuts:
- Control + C: Copy
- Control + V: Paste
- Control + A: Select all
- Control + Z: Undo
- Control + Y: Redo
- Control + W: Close (works for tabs, windows and apps)
PCs also come with a Win key, that helps we navigate and control apps, windows and more. Also make note of a renouned PC by-pass CTRL + ALT + DEL. This multiple opens your charge manager, where we can see all active apps and processes. Here we can force an app to tighten or reboot your system.
5. Move your data
Whenever we buy a new computer, reckoning out how to pierce your information over is a required evil. It’s even some-more severe when you’re channel over to a opposite handling system. Here are some tips to assistance we quit information from your Mac to your PC:
- Files: Use an outmost tough drive, USB peep expostulate or cloud storage service, such as Google Drive and Dropbox. Back adult files on your Mac and afterwards pierce them over to your PC.
- Photos and videos: iCloud for Windows will let we download photos and videos that you’ve corroborated adult in iCloud.
- Music and movies: Once set adult with your Apple ID, iTunes for Windows will let we listen to music, watch cinema and download anything you’ve purchased from a iTunes Store on your PC.
- Apple Mail: Windows doesn’t have an homogeneous record format to Apple Mail emails, so exporting your accounts won’t help. To send your emails, check out apps like Emailchemy, that translates Apple Mail to Windows and Outlook-friendly formats.
- Calendar: Open a Calendars app. Click File and Export.
- Contacts: Open a Contacts app. Click on File and select Export. You can also open your contacts around a iCloud website. Select a contacts we wish to keep, click a spoke symbol and select Export vCard.
6. Switch apps
Switching from a Mac to a PC customarily means sacrificing a Mac apps we adore for their Windows alternatives.
For instance, unless you’re already regulating Office for Mac or Office 365, you’re expected regulating iWork, Apple’s apartment of capability collection that includes Pages word processor, Numbers spreadsheet editor and Keynote display maker. iWork is not accessible on PC, so you’ll need to transition to Microsoft Office.
You can also use a cloud-based capability suite, such as Google Apps, or a giveaway Microsoft Office alternative, like LibreOffice and OpenOffice. Keep in mind that iWork files can't be non-stop on a PC, so you’ll need to trade your files into PC-friendly record format before creation a transition.
Native Mac apps like iMovie and GarageBand are not accessible on PCs.
7. Integrate your iPhone
If we have an iPhone, integrating it with your PC is some-more complicated. You’ll find that it’s not as seamless as joining it to your Mac as partial of a Apple ecosystem. You’ll also be blank out on a preference of facilities like AirDrop, iMessage and a ability to entrance and sync apps on your phone from your computer.
It’s not all bad, however. To entrance your iPhone on a PC, you’ll need to download and implement iTunes directly from a Apple website (iTunes will also shortly be accessible during a Windows Store). Although iTunes for Windows is clunkier than a Mac chronicle and doesn’t feel like a Windows app, you’ll still be means to do a same things, such as import photos from your phone, entrance song and sync devices.
Microsoft also creates it easy to bond Windows apps to your iPhone. Just form in “Phone Companion” into a Windows 10 hunt bar and launch a app. Choose iPhone, and afterwards follow a stairs to set adult your iPhone. Once finished, you’ll be means to entrance and sync photos, emails, song and papers from your PC on your iPhone, as good as use Cortana from your iPhone.
8. Protect your PC
Cybersecurity is one of a many critical aspects of regulating record for business. Although Macs aren’t indispensably bulletproof, PCs are some-more exposed to cyberattacks.
Protecting a PC requires a somewhat opposite proceed than safeguarding a Mac. You’ll need to implement your possess antivirus and malware – and make certain they are always adult to date with a latest famous attacks and fixes.
In addition, Windows has dual built-in confidence settings that are incited on by default:
- Windows Defender: Identifies and removes viruses, spyware and other malware, and afterwards alerts we when we need to take action. It runs in a background, though we can also do a primer indicate of your complement when we consider it competence be infected.
- Windows Firewall: Protects your mechanism from hackers, viruses and worms that try to conflict your mechanism over a Internet, such as from websites, emails and networks we join.
For some-more information on handling confidence on your PC, revisit a guide to Windows 10 confidence settings.
9. De-bloat a bloatware
One thing you’ll notice with your new PC that doesn’t occur on a Mac is bloatware – pre-installed program that comes with your PC that we don’t indispensably wish or need to use. These embody collection and utilities, apps and trialware, such as a 30-day hearing of antivirus or print modifying software.
Bloatware not usually clutters your PC – distinct a purify and minimalist feel of Macs – though it also takes adult space and memory in your tough drive. Bloatware can impact your capability by negligence down your system.
If we have a Windows 10 PC, bloatware is easy to uninstall: Simply right-click on a app and select Uninstall from a menu. And since many bloatware are from manufacturers and third-party vendors, bloatware creates your PC some-more receptive to cyberattacks.
If we wish a truly purify and protected PC, Microsoft offers their Microsoft Signature Edition laptops. These inclination come directly from Microsoft and are giveaway of any preinstalled bloatware.
10. Manage Windows Updates
Making certain your PC is adult to date is pivotal to safeguarding it from cyberattacks. Updating your complement on a PC, however, is some-more untimely than updating a Mac.
Whereas a Mac will warning we when an refurbish is accessible and ask we when you’d like to implement it, Windows 10, by default, automatically installs updates as they turn available. This means it could automatically run during a many inappropriate moment, such as while you’re bustling crunching numbers or essay an critical email. Some updates also take longer to implement and need a restart, that can be untimely for many users.
Fortunately, we can bypass involuntary updates by your Windows settings. You can select to manually implement updates or have them run while you’re off a time and not regulating your device.